Monday, August 16, 2010

Sometimes I feel like a failure.

I have a feeling that this is going to sound pathetic, but I don't know how else to word it.

Today we took Jared to his very first Dental appointment.  I'm not sure what age is the "Norm" for first appointments.  Obviously Jared is 3 and we just did his.  We also just got word that we finally had dental for the kids.  He handled it very well.  He was a bit weirded out by their toothbrush, so they just put that one away and used a regular child toothbrush and he was fine.  He really couldn't have been any better.  I was/am very happy how well he behaved and listened. 

Then we got to the point that the Dentist was saying how his teeth are and we got the news that he needs a few things fixed.  I totally feel like a failure.  I brush his teeth so it must be my fault.  We are going to go down to Yakima for a consult with this Dental Office's Sister Clinic.  The Clinic here is new and the Dentists in Yakima are all related to the Dentist here and not that it really matters but come to find out they are also LDS.  The Dentist was saying that if we go down there they can/will put Jared under General Anesthesia and get everything done at once.  It is safer and easier for EVERYONE if the little kids are sleeping.   So in a few days we go down to Yakima to have a look see and set a date for the fixes and then we should be good to go.

Still I feel horrible that there are issues that need to be fixed.  Aaron was saying that when he was little he had a lot of problems, so maybe some of it is genetic, but still...

4 comments:

Gina said...

You are not a failure! I know plenty of kids who have had dental work done, and Aaron is right--it is probably genetic.

Don't stress about it too much...those baby teeth will fall out in a couple of years. By then, Jared will have a lot of good habits established and I'm sure his permanent pearly whites will be beautiful!

Melanie said...

Didn't you ever hear about all the work we had to pay for because Emily's teeth were a mess? And Billy's a dentist! :) We seriously think there's got to be some genetic thing going on, because his whole family seems to have lots of teeth problems. Ours, not so much. Maybe Ally will have your teeth. :)

suepeterson710 said...

Of course you're not a failure. Teeth can be buggers. You're a great mom, never doubt it.

Carole said...

Don't you worry about it Carolyn! You can do, say and pray all the right things and kids have issues, especially with teeth. Aaron's teeth were not so good when he was little. Thankfully his adult teeth are a lot better. You are a wonderful and loving parent. Don't ever doubt yourself.