Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mother of the Year!?

watermelon Pictures, Images and Photos

This post is about poo!  Just so you know.

So some of you know about my children and their issues when it comes to going to the bathroom.  Let's just say "regular" they are not.  For instance take Jared.  He will go once a week whether he needs/wants to or not, and to keep this clean let's just say it's not the easiest act.

Ally has been following suit.  She has never been as bad as Jared but lately she has been. 

The last few days she has been miserable for a few reasons.  She is finally getting her K9 teeth in.  All 4 at the same time.  I've heard that these hurt the most, so keeping her happy for that reason has been a bit tough.  Then throw in the last 24 hours of her trying to poo!  She stands, shakes, wails and cries, and to no relief.  Jared has a few different prescriptions for helping him, but he is older and weighs a little more, so I couldn't just give her some. 

Last night I tried a suppository, which sometimes works.  The kids hate them, and I honestly don't blame them at all.  That is an exit only area!  Ally fought it and ended up working that out, but only that.   This morning the same thing with the shaking, crying, wailing and just plain miserable little girl. 

I called the Doc to see if there was something else I could try.  She wouldn't eat or drink so trying to force something down wasn't working either.  I was given the okay to give her 1/2 a 1/2 does of some of Jared's powder.  She is only 22 pounds, so too much would be bad the other way.  But the problem was still there that she wouldn't drink anything.

Finally to get to my post title.  MOTHER OF THE YEAR! 
I remembered that we have Watermelon.  Ally LOVES Watermelon, but Watermelon does NOT LOVE Ally.  Do I do it?  Do I purposely give my 1 year old something that gives her the runs?  I did it.  I was at the end of ideas, nothing was working, she was absolutely miserable and in pain. 

Of course I didn't give her a lot, but enough to get things going.  It took a while for her to finally break down and eat it, like I said she wasn't wanting to eat, but it WORKED!  It didn't take long either about 30 minutes and she was feeling a bit better.  She still isn't feeling very good, but she is a bit better.  I could have used grape juice too.  Neither of the kids can handle grape juice or any kind of juice with grape in it. 

Is that horrible?  Some of you probably say yes and others may so no.  All I can say is that she is doing a bit better and that is what matters. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they not like grape juice or their bodies don't tolerate it? Did you sneak the powder in the watermelon is is watermelon an exlax for Ally? Nonetheless all that sucks! Pooing problems are the worst.

McAnally Family said...

AWWWW sad i could only imagine how she felt ;-{ i agree with Kari pooing problems are the worst.

Jen said...

I don't think that's horrible. When I was reading this a thought popped into my head... how much fiber are they getting? They do have fiber in powder form that you can add to spaghetti sauce and other things. Maybe that's the problem?? I'm no doctor though. Just throwing it out there.

suepeterson710 said...

Sounds like you've discovered Ally's own private laxative and with no chemicals involved. You used it sparingly and it worked. Sounds good to me.

Jordee said...

Jenna has poo issues too. My doc had me by powdered fiber and add it too her water. 1/2 tsp a day and it has worked wonders. I just use the store brand, but it's the same as like benefiber or metemucil.

Melanie said...

Glad you found something that works. :) I don't think that's horrible at all. You're helping her to feel better.

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

I say way to go! You know your children better than anyone, and you were able to help her out. I'm not against medicine by any means but when you can use a natural remedy, why not?

Gina said...

I have that same option with Amy and ice cream. I think you did the right thing!

Terry and Emalee said...

I love watermelon for that reason. I eat it several times a week just to help me stay more regular! So you are the mother of the year. :)