In all honesty buying a lot of fresh fruits and veggies isn't always cheap, though if you find them on sale and then combine them into these pouches that I'm going to show you then they go far and you get a lot out of it.
As many of you have probably seen many stores have those handy squeeze pouches of baby food and applesauce mixes. My kids LOVE those pouches of apple sauces. Carys especially likes them, all of them. and I agree, they are nifty for transporting and they are getting some good vitamins.
My issue is, they are expensive and also there are added things in them that they don't need. Also there was the time that I opened one and it was moldy on the inside. Nasty!
About a month ago I found this nifty bugger! I was intrigued.
For not much (Target has it the cheapest at $25.99 for the unit which includes 10 pouches and $15.99 for the box of 50 pouches and lids.) you buy the unit and then a box of pouches and you can make your own squeeze pouches. What I do is basically make a smoothie without the added ice. I use just fruit and veggies and then the occasional yogurt. If I need to sweeten it a tiny bit I add a smidge of honey.
The kids love it and I love that they are getting real nutrients in their little bodies.
I've used apples, blueberries, peaches, pears, carrots, pineapple, mango's, kiwi, spinach, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, bananas, Greek and regular yogurt. There are probably more that I am forgetting.
So here is the unit with the bits
Please ignore the books in the background.
Here it is all ready for filling
I threw everything in our food processor attachment on our blender
All mushed
Poured in and ready to be pushed in.
One of my cute helpers
So easy!
Here are 20ish pouches I made in the freezer. There are more in the fridge.
They last 3ish months in the freezer and a few days in the fridge.
I have been really happy with my investment. It is the simple little things that help save money in the long run.
TA-DA!
2 comments:
Those are really neat! I think they are priced relatively decent. I make smoothies a lot with fruits and veggies but couldn't figure out a way to preserve them for the kids. Can you reuse the pouches?
Good job, love. I think these are great. And they're getting the nutrients they need but are so hard to get into them in their usual form!!!
Post a Comment