Thursday, May 13, 2010

#150 with a little brag and lesson learned.

Love this picture of our green eyed man!

So Jared is now 3 & 1/2 as of a few days ago.  He is getting more and more into spelling and reading.

He loves going outside and spelling his words with his sidewalk chalk.  Finding nice days when he won't get blown away is the problem. 

He knows all his letters, and the sounds they make.

He has a lists of words he can READ and SPELL, which seems to grow everyday.  Some of his favorites to write are:

Jared,  Nana,  Jet,  Dog,  Mommy,  Daddy,  Ally,  Frog,  Bed,  Log,  Box,  Egg,  Cat,  Bike,  Ball,  Sun,  Moon,  Pig,  Bug.......

These are the ones I can remember but I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Some of you know that it bothers me that Jared isn't in Preschool.  We just can't afford it.  The cheapest ones around here are almost $300.00 a month for a couple hours 2 times a week.  We just can't swing it right now.  I worry that Jared is missing out, and I know he is with the social aspect, but it makes me feel a bit better, since he is a bright boy.  I was looking around online and I found a check off list of what kids need to know before K, which is still 2 years away (due to his late bday), but I was curious.  He has everything down and more, except we need to work on cutting with scissors.  That is something that he has never done. I need to invest in some safety scissors for him.  There are a few social/emotional things too, but like I said Kindergarten is at least 2 years away still.

What to do about the social part I don't know.  We need something I just don't know.

2 comments:

Jordee said...

Just so you know, neither of my kids went to preschool, and I won't be sending Jenna. I have nothing against it, I just think that we send them off into the world too soon as it is. Both Katelynn and Ephraim have always excelled in school, both academically and socially. I know it is our job as parents to worry, but Jared will be just fine.

Erica said...

Carolyn, some things I have done for Sidney (and in a way, Phia too!) for socializing because we can't afford preschool or daycare (and I don't want him in either anyway) is obviously church, story time at the library, and playgroups. I was involved with a playgroup thru Yahoo! groups (I think it was called Ellensburg Moms...) which was GREAT! There is also a large family right next door with kids I trust and the Mom and I are on similar discipline wave lengths so there is some more socializing for Sidney. Hope those ideas help and the best thing is they are FREE!!