Friday, May 25, 2012

I need to play catch up big time.

So going back as far as 2 and a half weeks ago until Tuesday.

My Sister and her husband and children came for a visit from Texas before they move to West Virginia.  It had been over a year since we had all gotten together and it will most likely be at least a year again before we get together again, so we tried to make the most of it.

All the kids got along and I can seriously say I don't remember any fighting.  It was nice. 

The ages are 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 23 months and 18 months.
Here are all the grandchildren with the Grandparents, AKA my parents.
L-R Matthew, Dad, Jared, Carys, Allyson, Mom, Megan, Emily and Jacob

I had to add this picture in of Allyson and her Buddies.  She has always had a special bond with her Uncle Steve and now that he is married, her bond has grown to Lindsey too.  She loves them.  I think they love her just a bit too.

We hung out in Tacoma for a couple days and then came back home to school, work and getting things ready for the next visit.  We had a photo shoot for Mothers Day and since we were doing that we grabbed a couple extras.


Carys was nervous to be on a table where she couldn't touch the ground, so she wouldn't look up.

We went back on the Friday to spend a couple more days with the Curtis'.  We started by meeting them at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. 
The Science Center has a big exhibit for King Tut right now.


Jared, Emily and Jacob in a Dinosaur footprint

Carys looking all pathetic and wanting in.

Splish Splash!  She LOVED the water fun.

Matthew driving the race car!

Allyson loved the music room.

So did Jared

The next day Saturday the 12th Aaron, Jared and I went up to Marymoor Park around Lake Sammamish and participated with a couple great ladies at the first Promise Walk in our state.  It was fun.  There were about 70 people or so, which for the first year was pretty good.

It was a good time and I'm looking forward to participating again next year.  Now that I know what it is like, I'm hoping to get more involved.  Our team came in 4th with the most money raised, so thank you to all that helped us out. 

I felt very lucky to be able to be a survivor and to have Jared there with me. 76,000 ladies and babies are diagnosed with this disorder each year in the US. Many aren't as lucky as I to be able to help raise awareness for others.

Jared had a blast in the bounce houses before the program and walk.


Isn't he a stud!

Me, Aaron, Jared, Sister McAnally (Kari was taking this pic)

The shirts. 
I got a survivor shirt as well as the regular one.  I was going to put it on, but either there weren't many other survivors or no one else wanted to wear them, so I didn't either. 
I've had this song in my head ever since getting the shirt.
Thanks  to Beyonce!
I'm a survivor
I'm not gonna give up
I'm not gon' stop,
I'm gonna work harder
I'm a survivor
I'm gonna make it
I will survive
Keep on survivin'

2 days after getting home from Tacoma I received a call telling me that my Grandpa had passed away.  My last grandparent.
We were surprised, but then not as well.  Grandpa had been in the nursing home for years and hadn't been doing well for quite some time, but he had also faked us out several times too, so...
Either way we are happy that he is no longer sick, he is happy, he is with grandma and so many others that went before him. 

Edward Robert Peterson
September 26, 1920 - May 15, 2012

One of the tables set up during the funeral

Grandpa's high school senior picture

Grandpa received full military honors.  He served in the Navy during WWII. Including in Okinawa at the end of the war.

"On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Navy, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service."

Me on grandpa when I was about a wee one

Things that my mind goes too when I think of grandpa are;
Rides in the back of his pickup
The swamp
Hanging out in Puyallup
He loved to garden and did it really well.
His love of chocolate and how he made sure it was passed down to us.
It was his joining the Navy that changed our last name spelling.
He was a very hard worker in both church (examples Bishop and Temple worker) and professionally (he was leadership meaning times there as well.)
He was funny, loving and I must add stubborn.

This is just a start, there are so many others.  Thanks for all the memories Grandpa


1 comment:

suepeterson710 said...

Great update. I didn't know your team was 4th in fundraising at the walk. Good job. Thanks for the wording of the military hand-over of the flag too. It was very touching.