Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The latest in the life of me


I'm trying to figure things out for this little man. In the next couple weeks I need to have everything set. Kindergarten registration is coming so fast. It scares the poo out of me. As the majority or all of you know Jared isn't your typical 5 year old. He has his little quirks he is very bright but he is a worrier and a stresser.

He gets overwhelmed easily, but is also very smart and learns very quickly.
With that being said there are a few extra things I am trying to make sure he has or we take into consideration.  As well as checking all the schools tests scores, I am checking class size and length of the day. I am trying to figure the best school that can cover the majority of what we need.

What is nice is we have Two different people of authority, 1 being Jared's teacher and the other being his PHD, who are both willing and wanting to write letters to get him into the best school for him.
What Jared needs is small class size, 1/2 day ( he has a hard time being gone for 2 1/2 hours 3 times a week) and the ability to work ahead so we don't lose him.  In August he tested 18 month to 2 years ahead academically.
Here are our choices/options that I am looking into.
-Ellensburg elementary schools are big,  they are half day, and they have good test scores.
-Damman (little elementary school in Eburg that is more private) has good scores, you can choose half day and also Small class size. Down side is we would have to petition to get in. 
-The outlying school districts of Kittitas and Thorp have pretty good test scores, small class size, but they are all day and chances of getting into one of those schools isn't high, due to being out of district. Not looking into them as much now that I discovered they are all day.
-Another option is partial home school partial public. Not sure how this would work, I need to talk to his PHD about this one. This was her idea. 

In some ways I wish he was like other kids and we could just pick a
 school and know all would be fine.  But with that being said, of course I wouldn't change him for anything, cuz he is great.
Oh Buddy, you are stressing me out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of the options you gave...How hard would it be to petition to get in to Damman? If his teacher and PHD are willing to write a note, that should help, right? Also the half public and home school, I have heard of people doing it, not sure how it works either, but it is possible. (That is if you can handle the home school part in which I suck at. I've got no patience. LOL) Good Luck! This is a tough one.

Annie Leavitt said...

i've never told you carolyn, but lucy and jared sound a lot alike. i wasn't aware of how "advanced" she was until she started kindergarten, but in a way i feel that that was a blessing.
we were lucky and had a great K teacher (halfday) who knew exactly how to keep her preoccupied. and as much ahead she was, she still was at grade level for learning social skills and how to follow the rules.
she has settled down a TON since kindergarten to the middle of 1st grade.

i've found the more scheduled we are around here,and the more informed we are together of what the day/weeks will look like it gets better. she is still 2 grade levels ahead, but she fills in the time with lots and lots of reading.
there is no way i could home school that girl. we fight way too much over that stuff!
good luck, he will do great no matter what!

me said...

I would suggest talking to parents at Damman to see how they like it. My friend Kami Dashnea who had her daughter there and loved it especially since they allowed for the working ahead. And ive been told it isn't hard to petition in. Good LUCK! Having parents that are proactive and his advocates will help him go far.

LeAnna Erickson