Stepping back a step: I called them Friday telling them that we are going to go ahead and start the Allergy shots for Jared. One of his nurses called me this morning basically to let me know what we are getting ourselves into and letting me know what the process entails. I didn't realize what I getting into, but we are still going to do it.
The low down is:
It will take about 3 weeks to get the antigen in, since the company makes it up with just his allergens. After that we will receive a phone call saying we can start up. That is when the real fun begins, and the part I was wrong about.
At the very beginning Jared will need to go into the office 3-4 times PER WEEK for a shot. Anytime in the morning, we don't need an appointment which is nice. He will be given a shot and then we will need to wait a half hour to make sure he doesn't react and they will chart what they see and then we are free to go.
After 3 months of that, then we SHOULD be able to go down to once a month. Same story just once a month.
After 3-5 years he will be retested and see how things have/haven't changed to see if he needs the shots still, if they need to be changed or what not.
And the part that makes me a bit uneasy is, this is all dependent on ME! I already kinda new that, but if we miss a dose especially at the beginning when he goes in multiple times a week we will have to start over again, due to the dose changes. I didn't realize that. Of course I don't plan to screw things up, but No Pressure!
I'm not looking forward to him having to get shots all the time. The nurse told me today that since he is little he is a great candidate for this treatment. I guess they have a few other little kids doing this and they have all become adjusted to the shots and it is no big deal after a while. I hope that is the case with Jared too. He hates shots and I can just imagine his reaction to all these shots.
Anyway, about a month from now we will be starting. Wish us luck, especially Jared!
(just a trip down memory lane the day Jared was born.)

3 comments:
Good grief. Poor Jared, and you having to organize all of this. As they said I'm sure he'll get used to it.
This is included in the VERY fine print of the parenting contract. Oh? You say you didn't get a contract. Hmmm
Just think when the shots do work how happier you guys will all be. You can do it Mom!
Post a Comment