Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Compare and Contrast

So these last 2 weeks I've been thinking about the similarities and the differences between my 3 deliveries.  I know that all births are different, and each has there own special story, which I have shared, but I wanted to write down the differences.  More for my records than anything else. 

Jared
 

Allyson

Carys

How long it took for REAL labor to start.
J - 2 days
A - 1 and a half days
C - 2 and a half days (broken up)

How many meds given during stay including labor inducing drugs.
J - cytotec, cervadil, pitocin, magnesium sulfate, HCTZ, furosemide, epidural, antibiotic, steroid, hydralazine, and pain meds. Many were given multiple times. Possibly more given, these are the ones I remember.
A - Pitocin, epidural, and pain meds
C - cytotec, cervadil, pitocin, epidural, antibiotic, and pain meds

Arrival compared to due date.
J - 5 weeks early
A - About 3 weeks early
C - 2 weeks early, and actually the only child to be born in the month she was due in!

How many docs were involved
J - 2, Brubaker, and Sand (delivered)
A - 3, Easterling, Sand and Longo (Sand and Longo both delivered)
C - 3, Easterling, Sand and Stevenson (Stevenson did most the work that day until the actual Delivery, Sand wanted to be the one to deliver.)

Size
J - Home at 5 pounds 2 ounces 18.5 inches long
A - Home at 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
C - Home at 6 pounds 12 ounces 20 inches long

Hospital stay.
J - 8 days
A - 3 days
C - 1 day ( plus 2 days spent trying to start labor prior to birth.)

Weight gain for me.
J - 50 + pounds (though most of that was water weight which I lost soon after delivery)
A - 7 pounds
C - 6 pounds (and I've already lost 20!, that kinda surprises me, though I'm not complaining.)

Heartburn severity and heads of hair
J - Heartburn manageable with tums and some hair
A - Manageable, but more unpleasant, good amount of hair
C - Wicked heartburn, prescription helped for a while, but Tums still needed as well.  Most hair of the 3

So does this prove the ol' wives tail of Heartburn = Hair? Not sure.

How perfect were the kids
J - Completely
A - Totally
C - Absolutely

2 comments:

suepeterson710 said...

Love this. What a good idea to chronicle all the interesting details while they're fresh in your mind. Especially liked the last bit.

Gina said...

I did too! Great job. I don't think heartburn=hair is a wives' tale. I had the same experience.