So these last few days have been trying, frustrating, stressful, disappointing and uncomfortable, but we were able to learn some good things too.
Friday the 22nd Aaron and I went into L&D to get induced. After 3 hours we were sent home due to lack of room and nurses. We were told to come back in Saturday morning and we would start over.
Saturday the 23rd. We got the okay in the morning that there was plenty of room and staffing, so come on in. We got there and pretty quickly got hooked up and Meds were started. This day was Cytotec day. It took a little while but soon there was contractions and a lot of them. I was pretty uncomfortable, but it was manageable still. After a while I was told I couldn't take anymore or anything else due to the fact that they were coming so fast. So, we had to wait for them to either stop, or get stronger and longer. All day they stayed the same. Finally around 5:30 I was told that there had been no significant change with how things were progressing, so we were sent home, with the hopes that during the night something may change. Disappointing once again.
Sunday the 24th. Same story in the morning. Our room was held for us and we got started really fast. Checked before meds were started and nothing had changed during the night. Lame! This time we tried Pitocin. Pitocin has to be given in small doses, but it is upped every 20 minutes by 2 ml's. We started at 6 ml's around 10 AM. Once I finally got up to 14 ml's (the highest they can go is 20) I was pretty dang uncomfortable, it was almost unmanageable. The problem was the same as the day before, lots of contractions REALLY fast, so they couldn't raise it anymore, so they lowered it only by 1 ml, to see if it would keep the strength but lengthen them out. Just lowering it by 1 almost stopped them. That was when they realized that this was not working. I was checked and sure enough not much had changed. Disappointing yet AGAIN!
So here we are sitting at home, with no new baby to show for the last 3 days of time and energy.
Of course like I mentioned we did learn some good things and there are other good things too.
We learned that Carys can handle a lot of contractions and pressure without causing her distress. That is very good. That is another reason why meds are given and then so much time is spent on waiting. IF too many meds are given on top of each other, it can can baby to distress.
We also learned that she is a very happy baby. She just putters a long in there moving a ton and is happy with being there as long as she isn't being squished too much by the monitors.
Also I know that the longer she is cooking the better. We have 2 dates. Dr. Easterling had me due the 14th and Dr. Sand the 12th. Either way I am 37 weeks 1 day or 37 weeks 3 days. Even though the medical field considers 37 weeks full-term there are plenty of babies that come at 37 weeks that need special attention when they first arrive, due to lung maturity. We have been very lucky that Jared and Allyson haven't needed special care, and we don't want to risk it with Carys either. She is very happy where she is and if it takes a few more days then so be it.
So now I got back to see Dr. Sand in a few days to see if anything has changed, and make sure my BP/and labs are alright. If they are then this weekend we will try again. I will be right around 38 weeks. In the meantime I am suppose to lay low, basically bed rest, which is rather hard with the kids, but I will manage. I have to try to keep my BP as low as I can. Dr. Sand said he could admit me and keep me in the Hospital until we induce again, to make sure I rest, but that seriously wasn't an option for me with the kids.
There you have it. Our last few days.
5 comments:
I'm sorry you have had such a rough time. It is exhasting to keep going around and around and around again. I'm hoping that this extra week will help baby Carys be healthy and help your body so it won't take much to kick things into high gear this weekend. Who knows maybe you will go into labor on your own. Hugs!
That totally sucks! But like you said maybe this is so Carys can cook a bit longer. I totally would have come there to help out with the kids if you had to be in the hospital or bed rest it at your home. I bet Casey would have even watched my kids for a few days so that I didn't bring reasons for BP to rise. Remember that even if Carys doesn't come this weekend! I would love to help!
So frustrating, but I hope you manage to have a quiet week at home. I'm glad to hear she's doing well, even with everything going on around her. :) She must be very comfortable in there!
Wow Carolyn that is wild! Two tries with different meds . . . yowza! Well hopefully you are getting some rest while you can. I hope things go better for you this weekend!
Oh Carolyn! You must be exhausted! I'm glad baby is healthy, and you are healthy too. I'm hoping for big things for you the next time you go in!
Post a Comment